Mankato Journal - December 16, 1904

Mankato Journal – December 16, 1904

They went to the drug store where they sniffed assiduously. They sniffed every kind of perfume in the store before they chose, finally, rose and lilac and violet, and new-mown hay. (Quote from Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown by Maud Hart Lovelace)

The drug store the girls most likely visited was Lamm’s Drug Store or Laack’s Drug Store at 325 South Front Street. It was located next door to Brett’s Dry Goods store.

Robert Lamm purchased the drug store in 1891 from pharmacist John R. Jones. Lamm had been an employee of John R. Jones. He and William R. Morehart, both pharmacists, enlarged the store and held a grand opening in October 1895. The Mankato Free Press reported “the proprietors had arranged for one thousand souvenirs for the lady visitors in the shape of a dainty bottle of perfume to which was attached a card. Their stock is composed exclusively of drugs, carrying but few specialties in other lines, such as perfumes, musical instruments, etc.” The store was operated by Robert Lamm until the early 1900s when he sold it to A.G. Laack. The name was changed to the A.G. Laack Drug Company. (from Maud Hart Lovelace’s Deep Valley by Julie Schrader)

Advertisements